Gone are the days when manual calculations were done to determine project cost, except for small jobs. Now, construction businesses of varying sizes are using technology to speed up all aspects of their construction processes, including estimating.
A well-designed construction estimating software can help companies streamline their operations and deliver critical details for project management and scheduling. The benefits of the right estimating software solution are comprehensive, but here are some critical ones:
- Fast and efficient.
- More accurate calculations.
- Save your project details for the future.
- Help you stay within your budget.
- A reliable and time-saving solution.
- Take your overall professionalism to the next level.
All these features together make your construction pricing software highly effective. The right estimating system can immediately impact efficiency and accuracy while handling project expenses as well as delivering important business information related to project management and scheduling. To find an estimating software solution that can provide you all these values, you need to consider some essential points while making the selection.
Tips to Select the Right Construction Estimating Software
Although cost estimation may vary from one trade to another, the process shares similar fundamental principles of comprehensive breakdowns and accuracy. Bid and takeoff are two areas in which software has been proven a time-saver that also improves efficiency. Picking the wrong construction estimating software can be quite expensive and disruptive. That’s why it is critical to select the right software system in the first go. You can consider the following tips to choose the best estimating software:
Determine the User-Friendliness
Ease of use should be at the top of the list while looking for the best construction estimating software for your business. If you choose software with complex functions, you will not be able to sell more jobs as you won’t know how to use it the right way. The integration time for new software is an excellent point to evaluate its usability. The longer it will take to incorporate the software into your business, the more will be the adoption risk. If you need external technical support to keep the system up and running, then it’s probably not easy to use the software.
Consider Asking Questions
When searching for a potential estimating software solution, dig a little deeper, and find answers to the following questions:
- Is the software designed and developed by construction industry professionals?
- Does the solution address the specific requirements of construction estimating?
- Is this estimating software configured on the logical process?
- How does the software solution meet business and estimator expectations in legal and commercial compliance?
- Is this estimating software platform intuitive?
Ask all the above questions and ensure the software you’re choosing is designed for the construction industry exclusively and offer accurate track records for support in emergencies.
Check the Efficiency of the System
Another critical element you need to look at when selecting the right estimating software is – its efficiency. Some of the most crucial components of efficiency involve document storage, mobile sales activation, collaboration features, and so on. Software with all these aspects can be called efficient. You can also operate it efficiently from anywhere on any device – computer, tablet, or smartphone.
Take Advice From Professionals
You might have heard the phrase – “The proof of the pudding is in the eating.” Before you take the plunge, it is recommended to contact other construction experts who are already using your chosen construction pricing software. You may ask these questions to ensure whether or not the system is suitable for your trade.
- How much time did you take to implement the software?
- Did you provide training to your team? If yes, what training was needed?
- What efforts had you made on the database to make it ready to use and useful?
- Is customer support responsive, knowledgeable, and friendly?
- Have you noticed improvements in the way you do your business?
- Are there any features that have not met your expectations and needs?
- Do they (the software providers) know your industry and estimating needs?
The real experience of businesses and construction professionals who have gone through the same process can help you make the right selection. In a nutshell, it is best to select a software solution that is designed, developed, used, and appreciated by the construction industry’s specialists.
Construction estimating or pricing software must be quick, user-friendly, intuitive, and specially developed for your business type. You may also check how many people are using that system and ask them about their experience with it.
Remember that you’re not just implementing software into your business, but you’re partnering with a company or tool to take care of your current and future business needs. Making the wrong choice can make you spend a lot of money and affect your ability to bid on projects effectively. So, try to implement all the above points to select the best construction estimating solution.